1. Vincent JL. A critical look at critical care. Lancet 2010;376:1273.
2. Vincent JL, Singer M. Critical care: advances and future perspectives. Lancet 2010;376:1354-61.
3. Adhikari NK, Fowler RA, Bhagwanjee S, et al. Critical care and the global burden of critical illness in adults. Lancet 2010;376:1339-46.
5. www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Statistics/Performancedataandstatistics/EmergencyActivityandCriticalCareCapacity/index.htm (last accessed May 2011).
6. Department of Health. Quality critical care: beyond ‘comprehensive critical care’. A report by the Critical Care Stakeholder Forum. London: DH,2005. www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_4121049 (last accessed May 2011).
7. Simchen E, Sprung CL, Galai N, et al. Survival of critically ill patients hospitalized in and out of intensive care. Crit Care Med 2007;35:449-57.
8. Groves J. Commissioning and contracting for critical care from 2011-12: le ‘Payment by results’est arrivé. JICS 2010;11:285-7.
9. Curtis JR, Vincent JL. Ethics and end-of-life care for adults in the intensive care unit. Lancet 2010;376:1347-53.
10. Von Bergwelt-Baildon M, Hallek MJ, Shimabukuro-Vornhagen AA, et al. CCC meets ICU: redefining the role of critical care of cancer patients. BMC Cancer 2010;10:612.
11. General Medical Council. Treatment and care towards the end of life: good practice in decision making. London: GMC, 2010.
12. General Medical Council. Consent: patients and doctors making decisions together. London: GMC, 2008.
13. Carlet J, Thijs LG, Antonelli M, et al. Challenges in end-of-life care in the ICU.
Statement of the 5th International Consensus Conference in Critical Care: Brussels, Belgium, April 2003. Intensive Care Med 2004;30:770-84.
14. Silveira MJ, Kim SY, Langa KM. Advance directives and outcomes of surrogate decision making before death. N Engl J Med 2010;362:1211-8.
15. Fair allocation of intensive care unit resources. American Thoracic Society. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1997;156(4Pt1):1282-301.
16. Task Force of the American College of Critical Care Medicine, Society of Critical Care Medicine.Guidelines for intensive care unit admission, discharge and triage. Crit Care Med 1999;27:633-8.
17. Capuzzo M, Moreno RP, Alvisi R. Admission and discharge of critically ill patients. Curr Opin Crit Care 2010;16:499-504.
18. Department of Health National Executive. Guidelines on admission to and discharge from intensive care and high dependency units. London: DH, 1996.
19. Quartin AA, Calonge RO, Schein RM, et al. Influence of critical illness on physicians’ prognoses for underlying disease: a randomized study using simulated cases. Crit Care Med 2008;36:462-70.
20. Subbe CP, Williams E, Fligelstone L, et al. Does earlier detection of critically ill patients on surgical wards lead to better outcomes? Ann R Coll Surg Engl 2005;87:226-32.
21. McQuillan P, Pilkington S, Allan A, et al. Confidential inquiry into the quality of care before admission to intensive care. BMJ 1998;316:1853-8.
22. Guest T, Tantam G, Donlin N, et al. An observational cohort study of triage for critical care provision during pandemic influenza: ‘clipboard physicians’ or ‘evidence based medicine’? Anaesthesia 2009;64:1199-206.
23. Smith GB, Prytherch DR, Schmidt PE, et al. Review and performance evaluation of aggregate weighted ‘track and trigger’systems. Resuscitation 2008;77:170-9.
24. Jansen JO, Cuthbertson BH. Detecting critical illness outside the ICU: the role of track and trigger systems. Curr Opin Crit Care 2010;16:184-90.